On June 23rd, 2017, I landed for the first time in Dublin, Ireland, to live here with my family. This sub-blog is about my experiences living as an American in Ireland.
If you’re interested in learning more about my life as an expat in Ireland, welcome! However, it’s probably best to set a few ground rules for my upcoming posts.
- Currently we live in Maynooth, County Kildare, Ireland. It’s a university town with a large transient population. This will naturally color my experiences.
- I’ll often use “Ireland” as shorthand for “my experience thus far with this part of Ireland.” It’s not intended to imply that my experience is completely correct, nor should it indicate that things are the same across the entire country.
- I’m going to get things wrong. Please don’t assume ill intent if I make a mistake — I’m always willing to learn new things!
- As part of the “Americans getting things wrong” portion, non-European readers should know that Ireland is not part of the UK. You might be thinking of Northern Ireland. This is an important thing to get right.
- I’m going to compare my experience living in America with my experience living here. There will likely be value judgements. That isn’t to say that one country or the other is objectively better at something (unless I explicitly say that). Rather, I’m just comparing what I prefer. You might disagree!
I’ll update as the muse takes me. If there’s something in particular you’d like to know about, let me know and I’ll see if I can scrounge up a post about it!